1971–72. Long John Badry Blues Band. Pete Sears on Fender Jazz Bass.

  • Release 1972
  • Genre Blues.

1971–1972. Me play­ing my trusty old 63 Jazz bass with “The Long John Baldry Blues Band” some­where in Amer­i­ca in 1971. I enjoyed play­ing with the band immense­ly but Micky Waller and I lat­er left to move to Cal­i­for­nia. Ear­li­er in 1970, when I was still liv­ing with “Stone­ground” in Mill Val­ley, I had talked with John Cipol­li­na, whom I’d just met, about form­ing a band togeth­er some­time. When I got back from Long John’s tour I moved into John Cipol­li­na’s antique gun room at his house on Ethel in Mill Val­ley. We rehearsed in the old white Quick­sil­ver house up on the hill in Corte Madera and record­ed and played many shows, includ­ing Pep­per­land, and a live KSAN broad­cast with Tom Donahue.
John even­tu­al­ly came up with the name “Cop­per­head” and we played quite a few shows, and rehearsed an awful lot.

I left the band just before they record­ed their first album to fly back to Eng­land to record “Nev­er a Dull Moment” for Rod Stew­art, and to fly back to Mill Val­ley after a cou­ple of weeks to take pos­ses­sion of a house Nicky Hop­kins was rent­ing for me on Mel­rose Ave in Mill Val­ley (I couldn’t wait around for Rod’s inside cov­er shot on the foot­ball field…hence my name under the foot­ball . It was 1972. Nicky want­ed me to play bass and some dou­ble keys in a band he was plan­ning on get­ting togeth­er; he’d asked me while I was still with “Cop­per­head”. I stayed in the house for three months while Nicky was tour­ing with the Rolling Stones… but Nicky decid­ed he’d had enough of the road life when he returned and the band nev­er hap­pened. I found out years lat­er that the drum­mer would have been Prairie Prince who I lat­er worked with in the Steve Kimock Band. For the first time in my career, I had­n’t had any­thing to do while I was wait­ing for Nicky, who apart from send­ing me a salary was also pay­ing my rent, so I ful­filled a life­long dream and learnt to fly air­planes… lat­er get­ting my pilot’s license and fly­ing old open cock-pit bi-planes. I was even a mem­ber of the Tiger Club at Red­hill in Eng­land at one point and checked out in ACDC, the old­est fly­ing Tiger Moth in the world.
My future wife Jean­nette and I got togeth­er to write a song while I was stay­ing in this house in ’72… a seri­ous seed was sown that day.

I pro­duced a side for a Ter­ry Dolan album that nev­er saw the light of day…Nicky Hop­kins had pro­duced the oth­er side. Pity…it was a good album which had some great songs Ter­ry had written.
“Big Broth­er” talked to me about work­ing in the stu­dio with them…and we played a few shows up north, includ­ing Seat­tle. Kathi McDon­ald sang with them.
Soon after Nicky decid­ed not to get a band togeth­er (he nev­er did) I formed a band with Greg Erri­co, drum­mer from Sly & the Fam­i­ly Stone, and gui­tarist Neil Schon. The band was called “Sears, Schon, Erri­co” and we played sev­er­al shows instru­men­tal­ly includ­ing the Dia­mond Head Crater Fes­ti­val in Hawaii. After co-pro­duc­ing, arrang­ing and play­ing on Kathi McDon­ald’s “Insane Asy­lum” album which was released on Capi­tol Records, I flew back to Eng­land to record piano on Rod’s “Smil­er” album.
I also want­ed to look for a lit­tle cot­tage in the coun­try while I worked with Rod…and fly Jean­nette over to Eng­land from the USA.

Go to Top